Friday 7 June 2013

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

Dear Consumer’s Voice #1

In 2009 I engaged a consultant to draw a business plan for me. I paid P1,000 for the work and the remaining P500 was to be paid after completing the work. He promised to deliver the work in 4 weeks time. On the 5th week I called to check how far he was gone and negotiated an extra week as he was still gathering statistics. Since that time nothing materialized. We made appointments but he never showed up, he started avoiding my calls and changed his cell number.

After some months I engaged a debt collector who promised to get the debt for me. I paid P632.50 for file opening and gave him all the details about the guy. Some months went by but nothing happened. After several visits to their office they told me that they will serve him with a summons. I paid P369.60 as a summons fee. A month later I called their office but their phones weren’t working. I went to their office only to find that they have vacated the premises. I eventually found them at their new office. The owner made some excuses and promised to search for my file and every time I call for an appointment he was always out.

Please help me get my money back from these people?


I’ve got good news and bad news.

The good news. I got in touch with the guy you paid to write your business plan. He seemed embarrassed and apologetic. He’ll give you a full refund.

The bad news is that I also got in touch with the debt collector you engaged, Letsogo Debt Collectors and Auctioneers, but they were less helpful. When they thought I was a potential customer they seemed happy to respond to my messages but as soon as I asked about your situation they became a bit more cagey. They no longer respond to my messages.

Luckily you kept your receipts for the two payments you made to them because I think you need to take them along with any other documents you have to the Small Claims Court and ask for their assistance.

Dear Consumer’s Voice #2

I bought a Samsung Galaxy phone from a store on the 19th May for P1,150. I soon realized there was something wrong with battery because the battery didn’t last a day. I took it back and was told that they did not keep any batteries for the phone. The manager told me the owner has to make the decision and he is away. Later she told me that the owner said I should take the phone to Commerce Park to a Samsung dealer. I told her I brought the phone back within the stipulated 7 days why can’t they just change it, she said those were her orders.

[This went on with her being stalled and told that she had take the phone to the dealer, then run around trying to find the technician. She ended by saying this:]

I am not sure what should be my next step in this issue, this phone is a week old and I feel that the owner is just pushing me around to deal with Samsung and he is not at fault despite that I bought it in his shop.


You are completely correct. You’re not the store’s messenger. You didn’t buy the phone from the dealer, you didn’t pay the dealer, you have no relationship with the dealer. The store is completely responsible for fixing this situation, not you.

Clearly they’ve breached Section 13 (1) (a) of the Consumer Protection Regulations by selling you a phone that isn’t “fit for the purposes for which commodities of that kind are usually purchased”. It’s their job to fix it, not yours.

I’ll get in touch with them and see if they’ll see reason.

Celebrations

Constable Seroko and his colleagues from Tlokweng Police Station for rapidly tracing the person who dumped a huge pile of rubbish and charging him. Well done to them all!

Also “Prof, Shelia and the team at the Cardiac Clinic - you rock! The only medical practice in Gabs that runs on time. Always so professional, friendly and helpful.”

No comments: