Friday 16 January 2015

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

Is this a real university?

I found a scholarship for Batswana in the social network and I applied since I have been looking for a sponsorship for postgraduate studies. Within 24hrs I got a call from a man claiming to be in the US who explained the procedures, accreditation etc. What irked me was that though they are an online university they can also offer me a PhD based on my work experience, which is an alternative to studying for three to five years towards obtaining PhD. The man hasten to indicate that the PhD would be just like an honorary degree. What I you to help with is to find out whether NewFord is a genuine university and furthermore whether their qualifications are recognised especially those given based on experience.


I think you know the answer to this question already, don’t you?

This is not how real universities operate. Real universities award degrees to people who have attended classes, written essays and dissertations, who have undertaken research and submitted reports, who have taken exams.
There are no genuine degrees that are awarded on the basis “of life experience”. That is always an indicator that both the degree and the establishment offering it are bogus. We’ve dealt with dozens of fake “universities” like NewFord "University" over the last ten years and the story is always the same. They claim they can give you a degree in just a matter of days and all you have to do is give them your credit card number and you’ll get a certificate through the post. They might say their establishment is accredited but it’s only by a fake accreditation body that they set up themselves. In fact the “university” and the accrediting body are no more than web sites.

Finally, the most important thing. Anyone who buys one of these degrees and who gets a job or a promotion as a result of it is going to get fired and possibly prosecuted. Obtaining a financial benefit by lying is called fraud. Your employer will be entitled to fire you on the spot and drag you to court to get back all the salary you received as a result of lying.

Fake degrees are an insult to people who studied for genuine degrees and anyone possessing a fake one is as much of a crook as the people that sell them!

How do I get my money back?

Hi there, I would like advice on a matter. In December a friend asked me for cash to help clear some debts so I lent him P200, with strict instructions it must be repaid by the end of working hours at 5pm. Even he agreed with these terms & promised to pay to back before 5pm. But lo and behold little did I know what I was getting myself into. To cut a long story short 17 days later I still haven't been paid, all I get is excuse after excuse. I can make up to 30 calls in a day or send 10 messages, but he doesn’t bother to respond. Now I'm thinking of either taking it up with the police, small claims court or UB legal clinic. In which avenue would I have the best chance at getting recourse, or more importantly my money back?

What makes me feel bad is that my gut instinct told me not to lend to this person but I still went against it. Now see the mess I'm in. Your advice is welcome.


I’m really sorry for your trouble. This sort of problem might seem trivial to readers, it’s only P200 after all but it’s more complicated than that. You’ve had to spend your money calling and texting him and, more importantly you’ve lost a friend.

I suggest you try the Police first. A call from them might be all that’s needed to encourage your former friend to do the decent thing, if only because of fear. If that doesn’t work then you should write him a simple letter giving him 14 days to repay you and threatening him with legal action if he fails to do so. If that doesn’t work take a copy of the letter to the Small Claims Court and seek an order from them.

Or, and this is my least favourite option but it might be the simplest, just give up. How much more time and effort are you prepared to make to get P200 back?

No comments: