Saturday 30 April 2016

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

Can I get delisted?

I want to complain about being listed at a credit agency by my bank without being notified of the arrears that I had with them. I went to the bank and indeed they listed me. But after approaching them, they told me that the arrears were cleared and the credit agency delayed to clear my name. I insisted them to write me a letter stating the date that the arrears were cleared but they are refusing. But I need this letter at another banks for them to process my loan. Without that letter I’m gonna have to wait for 6 months. What should I do for these guys to write me that cover letter?


I can’t speak for your bank, the one that listed you, but I suspect they’ll say that it was as much your responsibility as it was theirs to know that you had arrears with them. They were also within their rights to list the arrears with the credit reference agency. Despite what many people think credit reference agencies are good for everyone. They enable lenders to make rational decisions about who they lend money to. Lending to the right people makes borrowing cheaper for reliable borrowers.

However, when you clear a debt they are meant to update their records to reflect that. Obviously the fact that the arrears existed will remain on record (it’s true) but the full story needs to be there.

We’ve contacted your bank and asked them to investigate and maybe they can act a little faster. It’s the least they can do.

Correction: In the published article I said that the credit reference agency should "act a little faster". In fact they act solely on the instructions of their clients, in this case the bank. It's the job of the bank to work faster, not the credit reference agency.

Will they replace my phone?

My phone wouldn't on so I dropped off my iPhone6 at a phone repair shop in January 2016.

We kept calling the repair shop to check how far they were with the phone. They told us that the battery had died and needed a new one. They said they were expecting a shipment to arrive. He said batteries would be among the expected stock and that he would fix the phone.

My hubby kept following up and eventually they told him to come and collect the phone as they could not repair it. They said they didn't get the battery they were hoping for. I went there in March and the guy made a quick phone call and immediately told me that the phone was at his other repair shop and asked me to go with him to this new repair shop. Then they told me that my phone had been stolen along with other customers' phones.

They told my hubby the same story. Interestingly, they told him that he didn't report the theft to the police but he promised that he would replace it. Then they told my hubby that he needed until end of Easter to buy a replacement. Easter came and went and both me and my husband called him and his phone went unanswered. I then sent him messages through Whatsapp and SMS but he chooses to ignore them. Whatsapp also indicated that he has received and read my messages.

Please help. I have lost valuable information and quite an expensive phone. He is neither taking my calls nor my husbands. I really need your intervention. Should I report the matter to the police?


I don’t think this is a Police matter. As far as I can see nobody has committed a crime. Being useless isn’t a crime. Of course the repair store should have called the Police when they had the break-in and the reason is simple. If you don’t report a crime to the Police, how can you expect them to investigate it?

What this also means is that the store clearly didn’t have insurance. If they had insurance against theft then the insurance company would demand a police report. So they didn’t have insurance. So they’re even more useless.

I contacted the manager of the store and asked what he was planning to do to fix this problem and this is what he said.
“The plan is to get her a replacement, the only delay is the funds which ae not yet enough as of now but by month end April she will have her phone. As earlier we are taking full responsibility. Apart from her 3 other clients are getting replacements.”
So some good news. I hope. We’ll follow up with him to make sure he keeps his promise.

No comments: